A company issue shares in lieu for cash
or sometimes against transfer of physical or intellectual property
to the company's hands.
But bonus shares are issued to the existing shareholders by converting
free reserves or share premium account to equity capital without
taking any consideration from investors.
Bonus shares do not directly affect a company's performance.
Bonus issue has following major effects.
1. Share capital gets increased according to the bonus issue
2. Liquidity in the stock increases.
3. Effective Earnings per share, Book Value and other per share
values stand reduced.
4. Markets take the action usually as a favorable act.
5. Market price gets adjusted on issue of bonus shares.
6. Accumulated profits get reduced.
Want to Discuss more about